D. Complaints Against Members of the University Faculty, Administration, or Other University Employees Involving Discrimination, Including Other Harassment

  1. Indiana University prohibits discrimination, including harassment, based on arbitrary considerations of such characteristics as age, race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, marital status, national origin, disability, veteran status, or sexual orientation. Sex-based discrimination and all forms of sexual misconduct, including sexual  harassment, are government by the University Discrimination, Harassment, and Sexual Misconduct Policy, UA-03 (see section C for information on making a complaint.)

    Because of the sensitivity in raising allegations of discrimination, a student may wish to consult first with an academic advisor, department chairperson, or dean. Complaints should be directed to the campus Affirmative Action Officer, Dean of Students, or Vice Provost for Faculty and Academic Affairs for appropriate resolution.
  2. The University has established procedures for handling allegations of discrimination and harassment. Under these procedures university administrators are responsible for publicizing and implementing the university’s discrimination and harassment policies in their respective jurisdictions. Students may obtain information concerning the university’s policies and complaint procedures from the campus Affirmative Action Officer, the Dean of Students, or the Vice Provost for Faculty and Academic Affairs.
  3. Complaints of discrimination, including harassment, based upon age, race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, disability, or veteran status by a student against a university faculty member, administrator, or other university employee should be processed under the campus complaint procedures for allegations of discrimination. These procedures also apply in a complaint against a student acting in her or his capacity as a teaching or research assistant or as an hourly or appointed employee. Complaints by a student against another student should be referred to the Dean of Students for resolution under the student disciplinary system.