- The hearing commission shall be selected by the Dean of Students from a hearing commission list containing names of students and faculty members placed on the list as follows:
- Four or more students appointed by the student body president upon recommendation of the student assembly or other appropriate representative body as determined by the student governing body; one or more students appointed by the graduate and professional student moderator upon recommendation of the representative assembly or other appropriate representative body as determined by the representative assembly;
- Five or more faculty members (to be representative of the various academic disciplines) to be appointed by the faculty council president upon recommendation of the faculty council or other appropriate representative body as determined by the faculty council.
- Students and faculty members are to be appointed to membership on the hearing commission list for a one year period of time, beginning with the first day of the fall semester each year. The student body president, the graduate and professional student moderator, and the faculty council president may appoint a person at any time during the year to fill a vacancy on the list. A person may be reappointed to the list from year to year.
- If a person is selected to serve on a particular hearing commission by the Dean of Students, the person is authorized to serve on the commission until the commission completes the hearing of any case submitted to the commission even though this may require the person to serve beyond his or her one year period of appointment to the hearing commission list.
- If a vacancy on the hearing commission list occurs and there is a failure or refusal of the appropriate authorities to make an appointment to fill the vacancy, the Provost of a campus may make appointments, fill vacancies, or take such other action as is necessary to constitute the hearing commission list or any hearing commission.
- No hearing shall be held unless all three members of the hearing commission are present. If any member of a hearing commission is unable to be present or should request to be excused from serving for any good cause, another commission member shall be selected from the hearing commission list. In scheduling members of the hearing panel, care will be taken to avoid members who might have a conflict of interest.
- The members of the hearing commission shall select a presiding officer who must be one of the faculty members serving on the commission. The presiding officer, in consultation with other members, shall maintain necessary order and shall make all rulings necessary for the fair, orderly, and expeditious conduct of the hearing. The hearing commission may examine all witnesses. When it appears necessary to avoid undue hardship or to avoid injustice, the hearing commission may, at its discretion, grant a reasonable continuance of the hearing. The hearing commission shall provide an audio recording and that recording shall be maintained for a period of one year.